We all want the best for our kids. We make sure they get the best education, but what about their classroom desks? While you may not realize it, the average desk can do more harm than good as it encourages poor posture and sitting for large amounts of time. It’s no wonder so many people feel awful after a long day at school — our bodies aren’t designed to sit in one position for a prolonged period. Fortunately, there’s a better way to sit, stand, and boost productivity and it all starts with upgrading classrooms to include standing desks for students.
Standing desks were designed for low-level activity like doing work, reading, writing, and using a computer at different heights. For its ability to be easily modified, the best standing desk is an adjustable desk. It is even more versatile than a fixed standing desk, which cannot be changed to meet the exact height of the user. With an adjustable standing desk, you can raise and lower the height of the desk to suit your body type and position.
Stand-up desks can be customized. For example, if the stand-up desk will be used for drafting or writing, the slant or angle of the surface can be adjusted accordingly. On the other hand, if it will be used for computer usage, the legs will then need to be adjusted. It is also possible that a platform be placed on top of a traditional seated desk. The surface can then be elevated to suit a person’s height when standing.
Benefits of Stand Up Desks for Students
Most K-12 classrooms and offices are equipped with one-size-fits-all desks and let’s face it, we’re not all the same! As more research is unveiled about the risks of sitting all day, including the link to an increase in childhood obesity levels, diabetes, and heart health, it becomes more apparent that traditional desks just don’t cut it. Below, discover the main benefits of stand up desks for students.
- Good for collaboration. Students tend to converse and discuss topics better when they are given a break from sitting. Working at a desk that is at chest height while standing makes the atmosphere more conducive for collaborative work in a classroom.
- Increases Focus: Do you have a child who can’t sit still? Restless students actually become more focused when given a standing desk because they can alternate their positioning, which switches up their mindset. Studies show that naturally antsy students tend to work better when they can alternate between sitting and standing.
- Boosts Test Scores: On that note, there is an evident link between the use of an adjustable standing desk and higher test scores. The presence of sit-stand desks in the classroom has been found to reduce class disruptions as students are able to maintain focus on the lesson.
- Promotes an Active, Healthy Lifestyle: By putting standing desks in classrooms, kids are encouraged to alternate between sitting and standing, allowing for stretch breaks and movement throughout the day. Teachers are able to explain to their students the effects of a sedentary vs. active lifestyle and why activity and posture are important. From an early age, students will learn how an active lifestyle wards off common conditions like obesity and cardiovascular disease.
- Improves Posture: Those who make use of a standing desk will experience improved posture and all the health benefits that come with it. These include keeping the bones and joints in correct alignment, preventing fatigue in the muscles, keeping the spine from sinking into abnormal positions, and preventing backaches.
- Supports Heart Health: Researchers found in a recent study that standing desks can support the heart health of students by encouraging a more active environment. While this does not replace traditional exercise, the positive effects of alternating between standing and sitting can still be beneficial to heart health over time.
- Reduces Aches and Pains: No one should have to suffer from pain due to prolonged sitting. Adjustable school desks allow kids and adults to sit or stand at any time they want without sacrificing their comfort. Standing desks are great if you suffer from back or neck pain as they encourage better posture. With an adjustable desk, you won’t have to strain to look downward at your computer — it is brought up to eye-level.
- Improves Mental Health: Promoting active education spaces is important for the mental health of students from elementary to high school and beyond. Even university students can benefit from a standing desk in their room at college. Movement boosts blood flow and releases feel-good hormones which can improve your mood and self-esteem. Additionally, being able to move around without feeling forced to stay seated all day can boost productivity and motivation levels.
What Is The Best Desks for Students?
There are so many standing desks on the market today and it can be tough to decide which one to get! The best desks for students are ones that are fully adjustable so that it is possible to achieve optimal comfort levels based on the activity you are doing. You will want a desk that is a good value, durable, and with a sleek design that can be used at home, at school, or at the office.
Top Features of Yaasa Adjustable Desk
So, what makes the Yaasa Adjustable Desk special? Put simply, it’s an adjustable standing desk that is engineered to meet your every need. Yaasa adjustable standing desks are fully ergonomic, meaning that they aid your posture and they are completely customizable, so you can stand and sit throughout the day as needed. They are great for children and adults and can accommodate a range of activities, from typing to drawing and beyond. The whole family can benefit from this desk as it adjusts to their height. Plus, they are the best value standing desk out there.
The best part is, Yaasa Adjustable Desks are electric, so you don’t need to do any heavy lifting to adjust the height. They are designed for ease of use. With the touch of a button, you can quickly modify the desk to your specifications. Besides these features, here are the most notable attributes of the Yaasa Adjustable Desk.
- Lightweight, Durable Structure: The Yaasa Adjustable Desk is made from a lightweight material that is not only strong and durable but is also easy to move around. You can set it up without a hassle, move it from room and room, and know that it won’t fall apart as it’s built to last.
- Safety Lock Function: This desk comes with an easy safety lock function. To lock the desk, you simply remove the key card it comes with. This function allows you to remove the height adjustability feature for when you wish to set the desk at a specific height.
- Ergonomically Adjustable: This ergonomic standing desk can be adjusted with just a press of a button. You can easily raise the height of this desk to any height between 26 inches to 45.7 inches.
- Whisper-soft Motor: The motor that is installed in our height adjustable standing desk is super quiet. This feature comes in handy in a quiet classroom where you don’t want to cause a disturbance.
- High Carrying Capacity: These standing work desks have a high carrying capacity. Although they have a low net weight, they can easily hold up to 160 pounds of weight, so feel free to pile up those books and your computer!
- Patented Streamlined Design: These desks come in three distinctive colors, so you can choose which you prefer for the setting you will be in. Plus, they have an ultra-sleek exterior like Yaasa beds and the same level of high-quality streamlined design for which Yaasa is known.
- Comes Pre-Assembled: Worried about a complicated set-up? Don’t be. The Yaasa Adjustable Desk comes pre-assembled in a single package. With minimal set-up required, no experience is necessary to bring the adjustable desk to life.
- Cable-Free: You’ll appreciate the cable-free design of the adjustable desk. The electronics are hidden from view so that you can enjoy the beautifully-crafted standing desk without dealing with batteries or lots of wires.
Good desks for students are essential, not a novelty. Parents, teachers, and students can appreciate the value of having standing desks in the classroom and beyond. From increasing focus to promoting an active lifestyle, standing desks can make a big impact on the grades and health of kids. Even adults can benefit from them at the office or at home. Give your child the best with a Yaasa standing desk!
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the benefits of a standing desk?
Standing desks have many benefits such as reducing back pain and improving one’s mood.
Learn more about the benefits of adjustable desks here.
How high should a standing desk be?
How high your standing desk should be depends on your height. The standard recommended height is to raise your adjustable desk to your elbows.
For in-depth instructions, follow our standing desk height guide.
How many calories does a standing desk burn?
When using a standing desk, an individual burns about 88 calories an hour compared to the 80 calories burned while sitting. While these additional 8 calories may not seem like much, adjustable desks offer many additional health benefits.
Learn more about the benefits of adjustable desks here.