You may have heard of beds that raise and lower or seen them used as hospital beds, but did you know that they are now a fixture in many private homes? As beds that raise and lower go mainstream, numerous individuals are learning how beneficial it can be to have a bed that fits their body, not the other way around. We customize so many other things in our lives, why not the one thing that provides us with the most comfort and relaxation of all?
What are the beds called that allow you to raise and lower your head and feet? These state-of-the-art electric beds are known as adjustable beds and there are a variety of reasons why people young and old invest in them. Adjustable beds have electric motors (that are whisper quiet) to move your body into the ideal position for sleeping every night. They provide a whole host of benefits to the user, including helping them achieve better health, mobility, sleep quality, and comfort. If you’ve ever experienced back issues, snoring, or insomnia, this guide to adjustable bases will help you see why they are the right bed to ease your middle-of-the-night woes.
Primary Benefits of Adjustable Beds
Let’s talk about what it means to get a good night’s sleep and how an adjustable bed can help. According to a report published in the Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine, around 30% of adults from different countries have experienced insomnia at some point in their lives. Numerous credible sources, including the CDC have found that adults function their best on seven or more hours of sleep per night. Unfortunately, missing out on those precious hours is damaging both in the short and long term. We’ve all had nights of struggling to fall asleep, but if this is a regular occurrence for you, an adjustable bed base might be of help. The different features of an adjustable bed allow you to get into the correct position for your unique physiology.
There is a lot of pressure pulling on our muscles and joints all day long. Laying down in bed at night is often the only time our body doesn’t feel the constant strain of body movement and gravity. With adjustable sleep systems, you can work to reverse the damage done during the day by supporting your body in the best position for healing and recovery. People with both acute and chronic injuries can find more comfort from adjustable frames. The most common health reasons for using an adjustable bed include neck and back issues, poor blood flow, acid reflux, swelling of the extremities, digestive issues, and sleep apnea, among others.
Helps Both Partners Get a Good Night’s Rest
Of course, it might not be you who has a health issue, but your partner. Their tossing and turning is not only distressing for them, but also for you as you will hear and feel their every move in a traditional bed. An adjustable split bed allows both partners to find their favorite positions for sleeping and makes it less likely that the other partner is disturbed by movement. Other benefits for partners using an electrical bed that goes up and down include that they are anti-snore because they elevate the head, freeing up nasal passages to have proper airflow while you sleep. Head of the bed elevation has also been found to be beneficial for anyone with obstructive sleep apnea for this same reason.
If getting out of a traditional bed every morning has become a chore for you, a bed that goes up and down might be a great choice for you to increase mobility. There are certain things that you just don’t want assistance to do and getting in and out of bed pain-free is definitely one of them!
Even if you don’t have a medical condition that warrants the use of a moving bed base, you’ll love how easy it is to sit up and do work without slouching on a pile of pillows. In addition to your back being raised at an incline, you can elevate the foot of the mattress to prop up your tired feet at the end of a long workday. An adjustable bed keeps your body in alignment so that you don’t have to worry about straining joints and muscles while you sleep. Plus, it allows users to be much more comfortable, adjusting certain parts of the body so that the pressure is evenly distributed.
Positions that are Possible with Beds that Move Up and Down
Whichever way you prefer to sleep, an adjustable bed can help you get into the most comfortable version of your favorite sleep positions. Here are the main ways you can choose to sleep in an electric bed.
- Side Sleeping: Often, side sleepers feel upper body pain over time. An adjustable bed allows you to raise your upper body to eliminate the pressure felt on shoulders, the neck, and back.
- Feet elevation: If you stand on your feet all day, the blood can pool and cause your feet to swell. Raising the foot of your bed at night will improve circulation and allow the blood to drain from the feet.
- Back Sleeping: If you are a back sleeper with lower back pain, an adjustable bed will help you get proper support while you sleep. The best position for back sleepers is to raise the knees as well as create an incline for the upper body so that you are slightly propped up.
- Zero-Gravity Position: The Zero-G position is very popular with many people who use adjustable beds. It mimics the feeling of weightlessness in space by angling the body at precise amounts to evenly distribute pressure. With a head tilt and foot incline, the Zero-G preset helps the body achieve homeostasis, allowing you to fall asleep quicker and stay asleep throughout the night.
How do I Choose an Adjustable Bed?
If you’ve been considering an adjustable bed that raises and lowers, consider the features below to help make your decision.
- Design: Is it sleek and does it fit with your other furniture? Can the adjustable bed fit inside your existing bed frame?
- Wireless Remote Control: There’s no point in having an adjustable bed if it’s not easy to use. A remote control function will allow you to move the head and foot of the bed to the precise angle you want without you ever having to get up.
- Mattress Compatibility: If the bed frame isn’t going to work with the mattress you want, then it’s a no-go. Choose a bed frame that will be compatible with any mattress so that you can keep using the same frame for years to come.
- Extra Features: Sometimes it’s the extra features that make all the difference. For example, easy access USB ports and bed lighting on the side of the bed mean you don’t have to get up to charge your phone or read a book at night.
The Best One Out There
The Yaasa Adjustable Bed is designed to fulfill all of the criteria above while being sleek and easy to use. The high quality frame is durable, yet lightweight and often fits inside existing bed frames. Yaasa beds have a remote control function with back lighting so that you can see the buttons late at night. Plus, Yaasa Adjustable Bed comes at one affordable price that includes both the adjustable bed frame and a complimentary luxury Yaasa mattress in the firmness of your choosing. You can, of course, select whether you want to use the included mattress or use your existing one as the bed is compatible with most mattresses. Here at Yaasa, we want to make the process of choosing the perfect bed as transparent and affordable as possible, which is why the Yaasa Adjustable Bed has a trial period of 30 days and a 10-year warranty. What are you waiting for? The best sleep of your life is out there and you deserve some relaxation!